Chicken Carbonara Recipe is a delicious and savoury Italian pasta dish that combines spaghetti, chicken, eggs, Parmesan cheese, pancetta or bacon, and black pepper. It is a popular variation of the classic carbonara recipe, which traditionally includes eggs, cheese, guanciale (cured pork cheek), and black pepper.
Chicken Carbonara is known for its creamy and rich texture, thanks to the eggs and cheese used in the sauce. The dish is often enjoyed as a main course, offering a satisfying and comforting meal. Its origins are debated, but it has become a staple in Italian-American cuisine and is now loved by people around the world.
To make Chicken Carbonara, the chicken is usually cooked separately and then combined with the cooked pasta and sauce. The sauce is made by whisking eggs, Parmesan cheese, and black pepper together until creamy. The cooked pasta is then added to the sauce along with the cooked chicken and pancetta or bacon. The heat from the pasta helps to cook the eggs in the sauce, creating a velvety coating that clings to each strand of spaghetti.
Chicken Carbonara is often garnished with additional Parmesan cheese and parsley for added flavor and presentation. It can be served as a standalone dish or accompanied by a side salad or garlic bread.
Whether you’re a fan of Italian cuisine or simply love creamy pasta dishes, Chicken Carbonara is sure to delight your taste buds with its combination of flavors and textures. It’s a satisfying and indulgent meal that is perfect for any occasion.
- 8 ounces (225g) spaghetti or fettuccine pasta
- And 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into the bite-sized pieces
- 4 ounces (115g) pancetta or bacon, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra to the garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
Chicken Carbonara Recipe Instructions:
- Cook the Pasta: Bring the large pot of the salted water into the boil. Cook to the pasta according into the package instructions until al dente. Drain to the pasta, reserving 1/2 cup to the cooking water.
- Cook the Chicken: In a large skillet, heat some olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken pieces and cook until they are browned and cooked through. And Remove to the cooked chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- Cook the pancetta/bacon and garlic: In the same skillet, add the diced pancetta or bacon and cook until crispy. Add to the minced garlic and cook for the additional minute until fragrant. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Prepare the sauce: In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, grated Parmesan cheese, black pepper, and a pinch of salt until well combined.
- Combine to the ingredients: Return the cooked pasta into the pot or a large mixing bowl. Pour the egg mixture over the hot pasta and toss quickly to coat the pasta evenly. And the heat from the pasta will cook into the eggs and create the creamy sauce. Add the cooked chicken, pancetta/bacon, and garlic to the pasta and gently toss to combine.
- Adjust the consistency: If the pasta seems too dry, and gradually add some of the reserved pasta cooking to the water a little at a time until the desired consistency is achieved.
- Serve: And Divide the Chicken Carbonara among to plates or bowls. Garnish with extra grated Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley.
Enjoy your homemade Chicken Carbonara! Remember, feel free to adjust the quantities or add additional ingredients to suit your taste preferences.
Chicken Carbonara Recipe Benefits
Chicken Carbonara, like any dish, can have both nutritional benefits and considerations. Here are some potential benefits of Chicken Carbonara:
- Protein: Chicken is a great source of lean protein, which is essential for building and repairing tissues, supporting muscle growth, and maintaining overall health.
- Nutrient-rich ingredients: Chicken Carbonara typically includes ingredients like eggs, Parmesan cheese, and black pepper. Eggs provide essential vitamins and minerals, including vitamin B12, vitamin D, and selenium. Parmesan cheese for the good source of the calcium and protein. Black pepper contains antioxidants and may have potential digestive benefits.
- Satiety: The combination of protein from chicken and eggs, along with the carbohydrates from pasta, can provide a feeling of fullness and satisfaction, potentially helping to control appetite and prevent overeating.
- Comfort and enjoyment: Chicken Carbonara is a flavorful and indulgent dish that can provide a sense of comfort and enjoyment. Enjoying food that brings pleasure is an important aspect of overall well-being.
However, it’s important to note that Chicken Carbonara can also have some considerations:
- High in calories and fat: Traditional Chicken Carbonara recipes often contain high amounts of calories, saturated fat, and cholesterol due to ingredients like cheese, eggs, and pancetta or bacon. Moderation and portion control are important if you’re watching your calorie or fat intake.
- Sodium content: Ingredients like Parmesan cheese, bacon, or Pancetta can be high in sodium, which may be a concern for individuals with high blood pressure or those watching their sodium intake. Choosing lower-sodium alternatives or reducing the amount of added salt can help mitigate this.
- Pasta and carbohydrate content: Chicken Carbonara is typically served with pasta, which contributes carbohydrates to the dish. While carbohydrates are an important energy source, excessive consumption may not be suitable for everyone, especially those following low-carb or low-glycemic diets.
To make Chicken Carbonara a healthier option, you can consider using whole wheat pasta for added fibre, reducing the amount of cheese or using a lighter cheese option, opting for lean chicken cuts, and adding more vegetables or greens to the dish.
Ultimately, enjoying Chicken Carbonara as part of a balanced and varied diet can be a delicious treat, but it’s important to consider your specific dietary needs and make modifications accordingly.